Seven ways to be data-driven off a cliff

Seven ways to be data-driven off a cliff

Seven ways to be data-driven off a cliff

You’re a hotshot manager. You love your dashboards and you keep your finger on the beating pulse of the business. You take pride in using data to drive your decisions rather than shooting from the hip like one of those old-school 1950s bosses. This is the 21st century, and data is king. You even hired a sexy statistician or data scientist, though you don’t really understand what they do. Never mind, you can proudly tell all your friends that you are leading a modern data-driven team. Nothing can go wrong, right? Incorrect. If you don’t pay attention, data can drive you off a cliff. This article discusses seven of the ways this can happen. Read on to ensure it doesn’t happen to you.

Last month, your favourite metric was 5.2%. This month, it’s 5.5%. Looks like things are getting better – you must be doing something right! But is 5.5% really different from 5.2%? All things being equal, you should expect some variability in most of your metrics. The values you see are drawn from a distribution of possible values, which means you can’t be certain what value you’ll be seeing next. Fortunately, with more data you would be able to quantify this uncertainty and know which values are more likely. Don’t fear or ignore uncertainty. Embrace and study it, and you’ll be on the right track.

Read Also:
Data Science Automation For Big Data and IoT Environments

Everyone agrees that the future is uncertain. We can generate forecasts with varying degrees of confidence, but we never know for sure what’s going to happen. However, some people tend to ignore uncertainty in forecasts, treating the unobserved future values as comparable to observed present values. For example, marketers often compare customer lifetime value with the cost of acquiring a customer. The problem is that customer lifetime value relies on a prediction of the net profit from a customer (so it’s largely unobserved and uncertain), while the business has much more control and certainty around the cost of acquiring a customer (though it’s not completely known). Treating the two values as if they’re observed and known is risky, as it can lead to major financial losses.

Ask anyone who works with data, and they’ll tell you that it’s always messy. A well-known saying among data scientists is that 80% of the work is data cleaning and the other 20% is complaining about data cleaning. Hence, it’s likely that at least some of the figures you’re relying on to make decisions are somewhat inaccurate. However, it’s important to remember that this doesn’t make the data completely useless. But if something looks too good to be true, it probably isn’t true. Finally, it’s highly unlikely that the data is always correct when you like the results and always incorrect when the results aren’t favourable, so don’t use the “guy on the internet said our data isn’t 100% correct” excuse to push back on inconvenient truths.

Read Also:
Data quality gets only lip service by too many senior execs

No matter how big you are, your data doesn’t capture everything your customers do.

 



Enterprise Data World 2017

2
Apr
2017
Enterprise Data World 2017

$200 off with code 7WDATA

Read Also:
Adding Humans Back Into You Big Data Insights

Data Visualisation Summit San Francisco

19
Apr
2017
Data Visualisation Summit San Francisco

$200 off with code DATA200

Read Also:
Why your company needs to ask the right questions about big data

Chief Analytics Officer Europe

25
Apr
2017
Chief Analytics Officer Europe

15% off with code 7WDCAO17

Read Also:
Prescriptive Analytics – Let Me See You Work, Work, Work

Chief Analytics Officer Spring 2017

2
May
2017
Chief Analytics Officer Spring 2017

15% off with code MP15

Read Also:
Overcome These 5 Challenges to Manage Data Overload

Big Data and Analytics for Healthcare Philadelphia

17
May
2017
Big Data and Analytics for Healthcare Philadelphia

$200 off with code DATA200

Read Also:
If data is loved so much, why is so much of it running around loose, dirty and in no fit state to get a job?
Read Also:
Overcome These 5 Challenges to Manage Data Overload

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *