1. Genuine people don't try to make people like them. Genuine people are who they are. They know that some people will like them, and some won't. And they're okay with that. It's not that they don't care whether or not other people will like them but simply that they're not going to let that get in the way of doing the right thing. They're willing to make unpopular decisions and to take unpopular positions if that's what needs to be done.
Since genuine people aren't desperate for attention, they don't try to show off. They know that when they speak in a friendly, confident, and concise manner, people are much more attentive to and interested in what they have to say than if they try to show that they're important. People catch on to your attitude quickly and are more attracted to the right attitude than what or how many people you know.
Having an open mind is crucial in the workplace, as approachability means access to new ideas and help. To eliminate preconceived notions and judgment, you need to see the world through other people's eyes. This doesn't require you to believe what they believe or condone their behavior; it simply means you quit passing judgment long enough to truly understand what makes them tick. Only then can you let them be who they are.
3. They forge their own paths. Genuine people don't derive their sense of pleasure and satisfaction from the opinions of others. This frees them up to follow their own internal compasses. They know who they are and don't pretend to be anything else. Their direction comes from within, from their own principles and values. They do what they believe to be the right thing, and they're not swayed by the fact that somebody might not like it.
4. They are generous. We've all worked with people who constantly hold something back, whether it's knowledge or resources. They act as if they're afraid you'll outshine them if they give you access to everything you need to do your job. Genuine people are unfailingly generous with whom they know, what they know, and the resources they have access to. They want you to do well more than anything else because they're team players and they're confident enough to never worry that your success might make them look bad. In fact, they believe that your success is their success.
5. They treat EVERYONE with respect. Whether interacting with their biggest clients or servers taking their drink orders, genuine people are unfailingly polite and respectful. They understand that no matter how nice they are to the people they have lunch with, it's all for naught if those people witnesses them behaving badly toward others. Genuine people treat everyone with respect because they believe they're no better than anyone else.
6. They aren't motivated by material things. Genuine people don't need shiny, fancy stuff in order to feel good. It's not that they think it's wrong to go out and buy the latest and greatest items to show off their status; they just don't need to do this to be happy.
Data Innovation Summit 2017
30% off with code 7wData
Big Data Innovation Summit London
$200 off with code DATA200
Enterprise Data World 2017
$200 off with code 7WDATA
Data Visualisation Summit San Francisco
$200 off with code DATA200
Chief Analytics Officer Europe
15% off with code 7WDCAO17